Happening across Cork city –
1st – 3rd September 2023
A weekend-long celebration of over 28 architecture and design events
Cork city’s architecture and design festival, Design POP, returns to the streets of Cork this weekend, September 1st – 3rd. Enjoy architecture and design through a series of architectural pavilions, events, talks, exhibitions, and conversations.
This year’s festival’s themes are ‘Urban Regeneration’ and ‘Collaboration amongst the creative community’, and festival founder Amy McKeogh is excited to see the return of the festival.
She said, “The themes this year are to reflect on the current situation our urban areas are in while engaging the Creative Community for potential solutions. The Design POP team and I feel the festival is a great platform to have these meaningful conversations and discussions around these themes. The Design POP Festival 2023 HQ will be in Nano Nagle Place.”
This year’s programme is its biggest yet – with four pavilions in different locations around Cork city: Penrose Dock – Wilson Architecture, Penrose Wharf – Bablefís, Nano Nagle Plaza – James Grennan and Nano Nagle Place – Design POP.
Design POP will host over 28 events at the Nano Nagle Place, the Festival HQ.
- A panel discussion hosted by Guzzle – with Jane Gleeson and Brian Wines.
- Wilson Architecture talk- Award winning practice.
- Design POP Launch party – Amy McKeogh (Festival Founder), Bablefís and Cork City Council.
- Panel discussion: “The Creative Journey”, with Doireann Healy (Begley & Bowie), Sean O’Sullivan (badly Made Books), Deirdre Power (UX at IBM).
- Adrian Duyn talk- Furniture Designer.
- Aisling Cleary talk – Associate Architect at FaulknerBrowns.
- Panel Discussion, “ Women in Architecture”, Aisling Cleary (FaulknerBrowns), Clare Kilty (Architect at Brown Thomas and Arnotts), Orla O’Kane (President of the AAI), laura Carroll (Islander Architects) and Amy McKeogh (Fior studios and Design POP).
- Cook Architects talk- Dermot Harrington and Paul Carpenter, Architects and Founders.
- The Big Idea + Design POP Panel Discussion,” Creative Careers”, Berthtranda Denby (General Manager, Teleflex), Marcus Swan (Design Director EPAM Systems), Emmanuel Hedin (Senior Manager Autodesk), and Kim Mackenzie-Doyle (CEO, THE BIG IDEA).
- IDI(Institute of Designers in Ireland) + Design POP Panel Discussion: “The TikTok Impact – Growing your brand”. Muriel Foley, Holly (Barry Group), Lifeboat Inn and Dee Corcoran (Chapter).
- Frank O’Connor and Jude Sherry (anois agency and Derelict Ireland).
- DUA [Design Urbanism Architecture] talk -Darragh Breathnach (Architect and Founder DUA).
- Conor Burke talk -Senior Partner at Fosters & Partners.
- Panel Discussion: “Urban Regeneration”, Frank O’Mahony (owner of Wilson Architecture), Frank O’Connor (Anois Agency), Jude Sherry (Anois Agency), Rob Curley (Maremoto Architects), Alfonso Bonilla (Maremoto Architects) and Darragh Breathnach (DUA).
- Design POP Garden Party.
- IDI + Design POP Panel discussion: ““Branding a creative community”. Jackie Gowran ( Business Weaving), Meave (Benchspace), Dee Corcoran (Chapter).
- Furniture Design and Making: A Collaborative Approach Tricia Harris (Studio Harris) and Daniel Gill Furniture Maker.
- IDI + Design POP Panel Discussion: “From Concept to Michelin – The story of Terre”. Vincent Crepel (Fermoyle Pottery), Modet Furniture, Dee Corocran ( Chapter).
- Grey Fox talk – meet the designers, Simon Dennehy + Phil Hamilton Award-winning Furniture Designers
- Maremoto Architects talk: Rob Curley + Alfonso Bonilla
- Begley & Bowie Talk: Doireann Healy – An award-winning Designer
- Panel Discussion:”The World of Irish Furniture Design”; Tricia Harris, Daniel Gill, Adrian Duyn, Phil Hamilton, and Simon Dennehy
- Islander Architects Talk: Laura Carroll + Ciaran Molumby Founders of Islander Architects.
- Workshop Architects talk: Séamus Bairéad Founding Director of Workshop Architects
- ARDU Panel Discussion: “Creative Community”, Shane O’Driscoll and Peter Martin.
- Let’s Talk Housing Panel Discussion: Séamus Bairéad (Workshop Architects), Islander Architects, and Amy McKeogh (Fíor Studios)
For full details visit www.designpop.ie